What is co-housing? Wikipedia defines this as an "intentional community clustered around shared space". But that barely scratches the surface of the possibilities inherent in the concept. Today's guest, Cindy Turnquist, and Lee discuss this intriguing community concept and how it addresses the growing need for seniors to age-in-community. Cindy shares her experience and knowledge to educate us about the many aspects of co-housing that will most certainly appeal to a large portion of our older population.
What You Will Learn From This Episode:
- A greater understanding of what a co-housing community is.
- How co-housing communities are formed and developed.
- How to tell if co-housing community living is for you or not.
- How to determine and evaluate the finances of co-housing arrangements.
- How are conflicts resolved in such communities.
- What are the benefits that directly relate to seniors
- The possible ways in which the community's common areas are used
- How to find and explore co-housing communities
Links and Resources:
- Co-housing sites to explore
- Videos on co-housing
- Other Resources and material
- The Senior Cohousing Handbook
- Senior Cohousing FAQ Sheet
- Self-Assessment exercise to determine how suitable you may be for cohousing
Bio - Cindy TurnquistBio - Cindy TurnquistCindy founded SageHill partners in 2014 to help foster the growth of senior cohousing in Utah. She is passionate about the benefits of aging in community and recognizes the need to improve community options for our expanding senior population. She measures her success by her ability to provide a meaningful and positive impact on how and where we can live out our last chapters in life.
Cindy holds a degree in Architecture Technology and Construction Management, with an emphasis on green building, universal design and community building. She sits on the executive team of the National Cohousing Association board and leads their “Aging-In-Cohousing” Initiative. She is also an appointed member on the Utah Commission on Aging. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with her husband Doug and is fortunate to be near her three children and seven grandchildren.
Hey There, Lee Here!!
Thanks so much for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below, or you can leave me a message directly to me at Lee@InnerGameOfAging.com
If you enjoy the show why not get more engaged by subscribing and/or downloading a bunch of episodes from iTunes.
But if you really would like to help spread the word about what this podcast is all about, why not leave an honest review on iTunes. Help us to produce better shows with your feedback. Or help others discover this podcast with your praise. Either way, your honest, respectful input is always desired.
If you are new to reviews and need a little help, you can go to LEAVE A REVIEW and I will walk you through that step-by-step. Thank you in advance for doing that! – plus, I read each and every one of them!
Please share this episode using the social media buttons you see at the top, or bottom of this page.
LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE NOW:
I hope you have an absolutely terrific day and I appreciate the extra time you took to look a little further!